Tuesday, August 24, 2004

NOW we know what CB stands for in CBFTW

For those who read CB's blog in Iraq, he was on NPR this morning. His name is [I'm changing this because NPR has taken down his name from their site. I guess he didn't want it posted so I will take it down here as well]. Here is part of the story:

Military officials are cracking down on blogs written by soldiers and Marines in Iraq, saying some of them reveal sensitive information. Critics say it's an attempt to suppress unflattering truths about the U.S. occupation. NPR's Eric Niiler reports.

Army [name and rank removed], stationed near Mosul with the [infantry unit designation removed], says he began his My War Web log to help combat boredom. "I'm just writing about my experiences," [Removed] says. "I'm pretty much putting my diary on the Internet -- that's all it is."

[Removed] says he has avoided describing sensitive information, such as U.S. weapons capabilities, weaknesses and scheduling. But earlier this month, [Removed] was lectured by commanders about violating operational security. Two other popular blogs run by soldiers have been shut down recently.

Lt. Col. Paul Hastings, a spokesman for [Removed]'s unit, said [Removed]'s blog now has to be reviewed by his platoon sergeant and a superior officer. In an e-mail to NPR, Hastings said the popularity of blogging has increased the chance that soldiers may inadvertently give away information to Internet-savvy enemies.

But some critics worry that military officials are trying to muffle dissent from troops in the field. "I really think it has much less to do with operational security and classified secrets and more to do with American politics and how the war is seen by a public that is getting increasingly shaky about the overall venture," says Michael O'Hanlon, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution in Washington.


BTW: FTW probably (certainly) means F$%@ the war. And Michael O'Hanlon can kiss my ass because he's an idiot.

5 comments:

Cigarette Smoking Man from the X-Files said...

I have to agree with you on Michael O'Hanlon. He's politicizing the non-political, and doing it very poorly.

I don't think much useful information can be gleaned by the Muj out of "we went somewhere and did something", but in the same breath I wouldn't fauld CB's unit for cutting the cards in that game.

Maybe now that they know troops on guard duty smoke a lot of cigarettes and get bored, they might devise a tactic to lure them away from their post with video games and movies? Or something?

Anonymous said...

TWD: Did you hear it --was it this reposrt or did they interview him? Did he talk like a skater dude? I wish that I would have heard it, but of course I don't listen to National Propoganda Radio...LOL...

ANYWAY...any good news (or news at all) to share with us about the bar? Inquiring minds want to know!

alix said...

check back in TWD, look at vrangel's comment and see whose name is there...
thanks man, for an always informative read.

for the little man, a 3" long praying mantis jumped on my leg today! it was COOL!

J.D. said...

thank you Alix. Done. I accidentally deleted one time too many, but better safe than sorry.

J.D. said...

Accent? Californians don't have accents. It is the REST of you that do. Like, fer shure.